1. A good listener. When you head to a dealership for a new car, you will probably already have some features in mind that you are looking for. A good car dealer will listen to all of the features and functions you are searching for in your new car so they can help you find the perfect fit. They will also listen to any concerns you have and help you address them.
The dealer you choose to work with should also listen to you when you disclose your car budget to them so everyone can be on the same page. And once they know your budget, they shouldn’t put a lot of pressure on you to stretch it for a higher commission. Also, if you need some extra time to think about this big decision you are making, a good dealer will listen to your needs and respect your time and space.
2. Excellent customer service. If all of a dealership’s previous customers drove away happy, you’ll probably do the same. But how can you tell if a dealership treated its previous customers well? Use the experience of car buyers before you. If the dealership you are interested in has many glowing reviews online, you have probably found a good one. Check Google, Yelp, and Facebook reviews to understand how people were treated during their previous visits.
You can also use reviews to see how a dealership interacts with negative reviews. Businesses have the opportunity to respond to reviews and resolve customers’ complaints. This can give you peace of mind that they will be willing to work with you if an issue should arise.
3. Trustworthy and transparent. Buying a used car can be a daunting task. It is hard to fully understand the condition of the car you are considering. A good car dealer will be transparent in all aspects of the cars you are checking out. If they are transparent, the dealer will inform you of the history and current condition of the car, and what that all means for you as a buyer. They will be able to let you know what the dealership has done to help fix up the car, and they can help you weigh the potential risks.
Reviews also come in handy in helping you determine whether or not a dealership is trustworthy. If customers have dealt with a dealership that is not honest, they will have a lot to say about it, and hopefully (for you) they will be saying it in their reviews. If you see a pattern of dishonesty, you would probably be better off taking your business somewhere else.
4. Offers fair pricing. You have a lot of tools at your disposal to help you quickly determine what fair pricing on a particular vehicle would be. Using services like Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds, NADA, CarFax, or others, you can determine if a dealership is offering a fair deal or not. If a dealership excels in all other areas but overcharges you for your car, you aren’t coming out on top.
5. Knowledgeable. As the saying goes, knowledge is power, and that’s true at the car dealership, too. You will want to work with someone who is very familiar with cars and can answer any questions you have. And if they can’t answer immediately, they should be able to find the answers for you.
A knowledgeable dealer is also important to you as a buyer because they will know which cars are valuable enough to put in their inventory and which to pass on so they can provide the best options to their customers.
As you search for a car and dealership that are best for you, remember that as the buyer you can choose where you buy your car. You will want to find one that listens to you, treats you well, can be trusted, will give you a good deal, and knows a lot about the vehicles they are selling.
At TJ Chapman Auto, we do our best to fit all of these characteristics. If you are in the Salt Lake City area and are looking for a car, come visit our dealership to see why we are rated among the best used car dealers in Utah.